Pages

Wednesday, August 15, 2012

1st day of 5th Grade!

I had been feeling a little nervous since last week, but everything went really well. My kiddos look so much older AND taller. I am really glad that I decided to loop another year with them.

The day started like all the first days in school: greetings, daily schedule, goals, and photos. In another post, I mentioned that Lorraine over @ Fabulous 4th Grade Froggies has some great activities for the first days of school. I did the puzzle game.

I got the puzzles at Target in the dollar section just like she suggested. I got 5 boxes of the same puzzle for my 5 teams of 4. I told them that the first team to finish first would be the CHAMPIONS of the World. As soon as I said go, they jumped right in to figuring out what to do. What I thought was very interesting, was that the noise level went really high and then dropped as they figured out their roles within the team. I also found it fascinating to see who took charge and delegated politely, my leaders, and who were the team players. I even played the song We are the Champions by Queen. They were so engaged and motivated. I am really glad I did that team building game. Tomorrow we will be doing the other game--Fred the Worm.

Click to play this Smilebox collage
Create your own collage - Powered by Smilebox
Personalize a free digital collage

The other idea I "borrowed" came from Pinterest. The only thing I did was modify it to fit my grade level. I love the way the photos came out. I like to use Animoto. It is a free online service that allows you to make short videos/slides.  My kiddos always ask me to display their photos this way.

I really had a great day! I hope everyone else did too.




What activities do you do in your classroom that have been successful?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Children...

By Dorothy Law Nolte, Ph.D.

If children live with criticism, they learn to condemn.
If children live with hostility, they learn to fight.
If children live with fear, they learn to be apprehensive.
If children live with pity, they learn to feel sorry for themselves.
If children live with ridicule, they learn to feel shy.
If children live with jealousy, they learn to feel envy.
If children live with shame, they learn to feel guilty.
If children live with encouragement, they learn confidence.
If children live with tolerance, they learn patience.
If children live with praise, they learn appreciation.
If children live with acceptance, they learn to love.
If children live with approval, they learn to like themselves.
If children live with recognition, they learn it is good to have a goal.
If children live with sharing, they learn generosity.
If children live with honesty, they learn truthfulness.
If children live with fairness, they learn justice.
If children live with kindness and consideration, they learn respect.
If children live with security, they learn to have faith in themselves and in those about them.
If children live with friendliness, they learn the world is a nice place in which to live.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover